Based in O'Fallon, Missouri
12 April, 2014
MidBoss is a video game about possessing your defeated enemies in order to become stronger. You play the weakest of the dungeon denizens, an imp with no ability other than possessing other creatures. Your goal is to defeat and possess increasingly stronger creatures, unlocking their abilities for yourself and becoming stronger as you go along, and eventually defeat and become the dungeon's ultimate endboss. Steam keys will be distributed to those who buy the game on itch.io when MidBoss debutes on Steam with version 1.0.
Initially, MidBoss was developed over the course of three days for Ludum Dare #25, designed around the theme 'You Are the Villain'. People thought it was fun, and so afterwards it was cleaned up and developed further and released in March 2013. The current version of MidBoss is a complete, from the ground up overhaul of the old game (hereafter referred to as MidBoss Classic) with new graphics, better interface, more abilities, more information, and a generally massively improved experience.
- Possess your enemy and gain their strengths and skills.
- 14 forms and 50 abilities to unlock.
- Randomly generated loot and equipment system.
- Randomized potion system. (optional)
- Traps as well as unidentified and cursed items
- Dynamic music system that ups the musical excitement when enemies are about.
- Quick Play mode for shorter, more condensed play sessions.
- Custom Games so you can play the game exactly the way you want to.
- Detailed tooltips.
- Line of sight and fog of war systems.
- Cratefish and balls of yarn currencies.
- Randomly generated dungeon floors.
- Several types of lootable containers and chests.
- Single-file save and resume with permadeath.
- Full options menu including key rebinding and resolution options.
- Multiple monitor support and borderless windowed fullscreen.
- Color-blind modes (deuteranopia, protanopia and tritanopia), optional high contrast font, and adjustable brightness.
- 12 retro mode filters available in the options menu.
Gameplay 2016 Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "MAGFest Indie Videogame Showcase Finalist" 5 January, 2017
- "MAGFest Indie Videogame Showcase Finalist" 18 February, 2016
- "These are fish boxes. I don't know why every box has fish in it, but gosh darnit, they're fish boxes."
- Rogueliker, YouTube
- "It's like levelling up a party of Pokemon, only it's yourself."
- CrazedNaly, YouTube
- "The core of the game is solid, though, and it already communicates gameplay with great potential [...], and the game is very playable."
- Lena LeRay, IndieGames
Kitsune Games allows for the contents of MidBoss to be published through video broadcasting services for any commercial or non-commercial purposes. Monetization of videos created containing assets from MidBoss is legally & explicitly allowed by Kitsune Games. This permission can be found in writing at http://www.kitsunegames.com/press/sheet.php?p=midboss.
Available for free from midboss.net.
Known issues, up-to-date information and discussion at reddit.com.
About Kitsune Games
Kitsune Games is an inclusive indie video game development microstudio, lead by Emma 'Eniko' Maassen. Kitsune Games is set apart by its queer founder, and the aim to produce games that are as inclusive as possible. Entertainment producers have a responsibility to make the world a better place, and Kitsune Games strives to do so by offering quality entertainment that offers representation of people from all walks of life and backgrounds.
More information on Kitsune Games, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Developer, game designer, artist, sound effects, web design
Anders Eggers Krag
Web hosting, playtesting
Title screen art